Wednesday 26 February 2014

My husband is a bigamist. He claims we are divorced. I have never signed any papers for divorce, nor have I seen any documents for divorce. ...

Question

My husband is a bigamist. He claims we are divorced. I have never signed any papers for divorce, nor have I seen any documents for divorce. I have asked him to send me proof...with no results. I have called the Clerk of Courts in the state that he lives in Louisiana and there's no record of a divorce I live in Texas I don't have money to start legal legal process for divorce and I know that I'm entitled to half of the 41 K at least what do I do how do I start where do I go



Answer

You need to look at Lone Star Legal Service for a pro bono (free) attorney. I don't know if they are accepting cases at this time. They are very busy because they are free.

If you did not receive any papers then you are probably not divorced.

Unfortunately, I've heard stories like your many times. Men just get married again without bothering to divorce. Be sure to keep your paperwork because if he dies you will receive his Social Security benefits if you can prove that you were the first woman he married -- you would be the widow!

I don't know Louisiana law.

If he was already married when you married him, then you will have problems getting part of his 401(k). If you were the first wife and then he married someone else, then you are the "real" wife and the other woman is not truly married to him.

You will probably need to hire an attorney to help you. Many offer a free consultation either in person or over the phone. Look on this website and on www.avvo.com

I cannot tell what county you live in.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.



No comments:

Post a Comment