Wednesday 26 February 2014

My father is Infirm and my step mother claims to be the executor of his estate and also says she has power of attorney. She told me she took...

Question

My father is Infirm and my step mother claims to be the executor of his estate and also says she has power of attorney. She told me she took his will to a friend of hers that is an estate planner to make sure she is financially " taken care of " . She has also tampered with his gun safe that my brother is to inherent. I have never read my father's will, and his wife will not allow myself or my siblings to view it although I have asked, considering it seems she has ill intent. Is there a way to obtain a copy or at least view my fathers will before he passes, so myself and siblings can protect our inheritance?



Answer

I'm not sure how your step-mother's intent is any more ill than yours. What you're seeking to "protect" does not belong to you, and it may never belong to you. Unless your father wants to show you his Will, you have no right to see it. I hate to sound like the tough voice of reality, but your father is not required to leave you any inheritance at all.

If you have concerns about your step-mother, consider first discussing the issues with your father. Understand that your attitude toward her is likely to adversely affect your relationship with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment