Wednesday 26 February 2014

My girlfriend and I have a 4 month old son, which paternity has not been established but believe that he is mine. Her mother is very control...

Question

My girlfriend and I have a 4 month old son, which paternity has not been established but believe that he is mine. Her mother is very controlling and has told her if she doesnt come home then she would not have a home to come to if something were to happen between us, so she has gone home, now I would like to see my son but her mother says no. Do I have rights to see him anytime? Can I just go and get him? It is also not fair to my parents as they have been really good to her and have bought just about everything that she and the baby needs, unlike her mother who always says she has no money but works a full time job..I just want to know my legal rights now without having to go to court just to see him..What can I do? Thank you T.D



Answer

If you are not married, then you do not have any "enforceable" rights at this time. So, you are basically faced with either (a) living with whatever rules she puts in place or (b) going to Court and taking the control out of her hands.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog (www.SCFamilyLaw.com) or our website (www.SpartanburgLawyers.com). I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens



No comments:

Post a Comment