Tuesday 24 February 2015

I attended an interview and incurred expenses over $1,500 - flights, hotel and a required full medical exam. Although I passed the interview...

Question

I attended an interview and incurred expenses over $1,500 - flights, hotel and a required full medical exam. Although I passed the interview and all tests, I was notified I was rejected.

Some weeks later, by chance, I met the chairman of the panel that interviewed me. I asked him why I was not accepted. He told me that an employee at the company had provided information (false) that I had not been employed by one of the employers lited on my resume.

I wrote to the comapny that rejected me and provided proof that I had indeed worked for the company listed on my resume - work id, pay slip etc.

Can I sue the company for my expenses based on my rejection by them for illigimate reasons?



Answer

You would have to prove that the company that rejected you knew or should have known that the information was false, which sounds unlikely. If anything, you MAY have some right to sue the company that provided the false information, even if the action was negligent, but if you do you can assume that if you need to list them in the future for any other job application there could be a huge "red flag" by your name. What you might think of doing, however, and an attorney could be helpful I think, is getting a letter from the company that provided the false information, attesting to your having worked there along with a letter of recommendation?



No comments:

Post a Comment