Wednesday 26 November 2014

I lost my Florida license in 1997 after I received my 4th DUI. I have had no further infractions, excepting 2000 when I was stopped and char...

Question

I lost my Florida license in 1997 after I received my 4th DUI. I have had no further infractions, excepting 2000 when I was stopped and charged with driving suspended. Does this disqualify me from ever getting a license in another state? Even a hardship?

I did complete all requirments by the state of FL



Answer

Up until last year, you could do nothing. However, Florida has allowed people with permanent suspensions to be able to get an employment purpose only license. You still have to follow strict requirements and you must continually maintain treatment programs, but you would at least be eligible to apply with DMV. Once you get a hardship, it will be easier to transfer to another state and get a hardship in that state (most of the time, but it depends on the new state).



Answer

I would recommend you visit http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/dlfaqson2a.html for the specifics on the hardship program for lifetime license revocations. Here's what it says in a nutshell:

"4th DUI or Subsequent DUI Conviction - You must serve 10 years of this revocation period before being eligible to apply for a hardship license in the Administrative Reviews Office where you live. You must complete DUI School, and treatment, if referred, and have a favorable recommendation from the Special Supervision Services Program to be eligible for a hardship license. If given approval to reinstate early for hardship, you must present this approval to the driver license office. You must remain in the Special Supervision Services Program to retain your hardship license.

At the time of reinstatement you must take the required examination, and pay an Administrative fee and revocation reinstatement fee and any license fee required. For a DUI conviction on or prior to October 1, 2007, you must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 10,000 per person and $20,000 per occurrence and $10,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or pay a $15 reinstatement fee. Any DUI conviction after October 1, 2007, must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 100,000 per person, 300,000 per occurrence and 50,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or pay a fee of $150 up to $500."



No comments:

Post a Comment