Friday 27 March 2015

can contractor sue relative?My father passed away in Jan of 2006. He entered in a contract in 2003 to add a addition on our house for him t...

Question

can contractor sue relative?

My father passed away in Jan of 2006. He entered in a contract in 2003 to add a addition on our house for him to live in. Because some work was never completed to his satisfaction he withheld money from the contractor. The contractor is now taking me to collections for the money since it is my property. Am I liable for the balance even though the contract was not under my name?



Answer

Re: can contractor sue relative?

Unless the contractor complied with the formalities to assert a mechanics lien on the property or the owner of the property was a party to the contract, it is unlikely the contractor will be able to recover unless there are assets in your father's estate.

If we can help let us know. Services available for a reasonable fee.



No comments:

Post a Comment