Sunday 27 April 2014

I was wondering if i could sue someone who lives in another state for an airline ticket i purchased for them with a promise to pay me back w...

Question

I was wondering if i could sue someone who lives in another state for an airline ticket i purchased for them with a promise to pay me back when she arrived. she got arrested before the flight and refused to take the trip because she had comunity service. I Sent her a letter. similar to a pre collection notice telling her what she owed and if she didnt pay by dec 31 then i would file in small claims court. she called me and told me that even if i sued her she would not appear nor acknowledge the suit. since i would get a default judgement in my favor. she said she wouldnt pay me a dime. can she really refuse to pay if the judge says she has to. and does it matter if she is low income.



Answer

Can you sue her? Sure. If you get a judgment, the judge does not order her to pay. You have to collect on the judgment. Her low income is an issue because it means she may not have any assets that you can take to satisfy the judgment. She may not have a job, which means you could not garnish her wages.



Answer

Barry is right on target. It may cost you more money in the long run. As you know, never loan money to friends and family.



No comments:

Post a Comment