Friday 24 January 2014

when the father of my children terminates his rights, do I Have the right to keep my childrens last name the same as the father. They have h...

Question

when the father of my children terminates his rights, do I Have the right to keep my childrens last name the same as the father. They have his last name and they know their last name and I dont want to take that from them.



Answer

That won't be a problem. No person's name is ever changed by a court unless someone specifically requests it. If there's some kind of disagreement over whether a name should be changed, the court will basically look at what's reasonable to do in that particular situation, but I don't think that's likely to hepprn here. Even if the father were to ask for their names to be changed, at the point that his rights are being terminated, he loses any authority he might ever have had to decide ANYTHING to do with the kids. He's not going to be able to force that issue any more than he could decide which school they'll attend, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.



No comments:

Post a Comment