Friday 19 September 2014

I recently had a paternity test done and it turns out that my 'father' is not my real father. After much discussion we have decided to part ...

Question

I recently had a paternity test done and it turns out that my 'father' is not my real father. After much discussion we have decided to part ways and overlook all the child support and whatnot. I have just graduated high school and am about to attend college in a month and I would like to get my last name changed so that I don't continue through school with a name that does not rightfully belong to me. I wanted to know how I may go about this process. I reside in Waco, Texas. Your legal advice will be greatly appreciated.



Answer

I would talk to an attorney in your county.

I assume that you are over 18 so you can do an adult name change.

It could take a few months depending on the judge's interpretation of Texas law. However, once I had a just grant it in less than a week - but that was 8 years ago & the judge's interpretation of the laws of Texas "differed" from other judges in Harris County.

It requires that you be finger printed & a judge must approve it. What the judge requires will depend on the judge so I suggest that you talk to an attorney that knows what the judges in your county usually require. You will have to pay a filing fee & other costs associated with the name change - the attorney can explain all the costs involved.

How much? I used to charge $1,000 flat-rate for an adult name change approx. 5 years ago plus all out-of-pocket costs (usually under another $500) but I quit doing them because they took a lot of time & I ended up making under $75/hour and they were not worth the hassle.

Don't waste your time & money on kits sold on TV, radio, internet or in office supply stores. Please don't hire a paralegal directly - especially since it is a felony in Texas for a paralegal to provide legal services if they are not working for an attorney.



No comments:

Post a Comment