Tuesday 23 September 2014

My husband's brother -an Iowa resident- committed suicide last May. Years before, he asked my husband to hold the original copy of his will....

Question

My husband's brother -an Iowa resident- committed suicide last May. Years before, he asked my husband to hold the original copy of his will. Their father was named executor and their mother was secondary. Both parents pre-deceased him. No other executor was named. My husband turned over the will to my brother's attorney who said he would file it with the county court. The beneficiaries of the will were their parents first and then my husband. His only assets was a car worth very little and maybe a couple of dollars in a checking account so my husband doesn't expect to receive anything. It is unlikely the assets would exceed his debts. The decedent had 4 children not named in the will, a sister and another brother besides my husband. The other siblings were not named either. To our knowledge no one stepped forward to be executor. Shouldn't the court appoint an executor at least notify the beneficiary as to the disposition of the estate...little as it is.



Answer

That's what would have to happen to make it all legal.



No comments:

Post a Comment