Monday 30 June 2014

About 4 years ago I was arrested on drug possession charges plus a few misdemeanors. I was a first time offender so instead of prison my ju...

Question

About 4 years ago I was arrested on drug possession charges plus a few misdemeanors. I was a first time offender so instead of prison my judge gave me the option of taking "Drug Classes". I did everything I had to do and my record is now clean again, like it never happened. I now own 3 firearms legally, and I am looking into getting a CCW permit. I understand that my county's Sherriff's office takes care of the application process but I also know that the application fee is non-refundable.In my state I must have a "Good Cause" which I have. It just doesn't make sense to pay the fee if I am already marked for rejection. Will my previous encounter with the law affect my chances of getting a CCW permit even though I can legally purchase and possess a firearm? Please help. Thanx..



Answer

Will it affect your chances? Of course. IF you are correct that you are not a 'prohibited person' then the decision will be up to the issuing agency after your disclosure on the application and the background check that will be done. Go talk to the agency and get their input. I also suggest you confirm your opinion that you can "own 3 firearms legally" by going to a gun store and requesting a 'non-purchase' DOJ eligibility check.



No comments:

Post a Comment